Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year Resolutions?


Truth be told, I do not believe in resolutions anymore. They are superficial; unless you put in some effort to make them happen, it would be but a mere list of unrealized goals in life. Yes, we all have goals, we all want to improve ourselves. But too often, I talk (or, write) them out rather than carry them out. That nature of mine combined with my all-time laziness and carelessness - nothing gets done. This has been going on for years.

Every beginning of the year we all get excited about the year itself, and we are driven with great energy and enthusiasm. But they fade off eventually. Back in high school, this is what I told myself every beginning of the year: I must finish and pass up all homework.

Never happens.

That very day you break a practice, the whole thing is gone. All the effort and time and patience would be in vain, just because you decided that you were a little bit more tired than usual, or because you're too moody to move and get things done, or because a few hours of your day mysteriously disappeared. Those are the types of lies that I would quietly tell myself and, of course, be deceived by. And I'm just so tired of all that. That's the story of how 'resolutions' loses its meaning.

So this year, instead of taking days to think about and list down my resolutions, here is what I know I want future-me to do:


Read more. Write more. Listen more. Find out more. Know more. Understand more. Grow more. Love more. Give more. Pray more. Participate more. Exercise more. Eat moderately. Sleep moderately. Think positively. Complain less. Be thankful. Be bold. Be smart. Be happy.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: