Thursday, March 7, 2013

Savings x Emergency

There's this once where me and a friend at work were casually discussing about our pay. When he asked what I was going to do with my pay, I, who had no specific intention to spend my money, told him that I was going to save it. 'Save? For what?' The conversation came to a pause, and I thought for a moment. For my future? For education? (How much can I contribute, anyway.) Why in the first place would people keep a reserve of their money? I don't know. So like how most people would answer to such question, I replied, 'emergency'.

Over the years, I have developed a view for money as power. Economists see it as purchasing power, but I see it as something more than just that. You have money, you get more opportunities. You have money, you are prioritized. I do understand that money is not everything. However, I cannot help but agree that in this world today, money has established such a level of importance that it has become one of the essentials for survival. And we all have heard that money cannot buy happiness. But come to think of it, money can buy the things you like, which pretty much translates into happiness, doesn't it? Glorious food, pretty dresses, books, little things here and there. Money does bring about happiness.

To me, money is extremely important because I see it as a form of... solution. A back-up plan. I guess the underlying concept is that I know how it pays off medical bills and services, which to a certain extent, guarantees our health and life itself. Money can buy health, and sometimes, it makes all the difference between life and death. You have money, you are in control of your life. You have power. You basically can do anything and have anything you want. Because frankly speaking, what can't money do nowadays? It buys health, physical objects, lifestyle, titles, time, and sadly, even one's value as well.

So, yes, I had been saving. I could have bought myself a brand new smartphone (with a good camera), but I chose not to spend it that way. The thought of having no money to back me up at any point of time, at all, makes me feel weak and small. It makes me feel vulnerable  What is there to back-up? I don't exactly know. But I confess that there's this very weird and paranoid side of my mind that goes 'okay I won't get into that much of trouble had I drop this very iPad I am currently holding in my hands because I have money to compensate a new one okay calm down' or even 'maybe I would not feel as bad knowing that I did contribute some to that artificial leg I would someday put on'... But CHOY. These are not the kinds of emergency anyone would anticipate (anticipate, heh).

Emergency, right. What sort of emergency then? I honestly didn't know, until I got a phone call from my sister a few weeks ago. Right then, right there, in the car on my way out of a mall (if not mistaken), I finally knew the purpose my savings are to going serve, because this time, for real -








*











**















***


















****

























*****























TVXQ! 'CATCH ME' LIVE WORLD TOUR IN KL
Credits: gokpop

Emergency is happening.

No comments: