Monday, February 25, 2013

Jinxed

Never in my life had I experienced functioning on two hours of sleep, until yesterday. For those who cannot relate, it felt really, really good.

Anyway here's a short, simple, laughable yet sad story of how my aunt and I got jinxed.

It all started on one fine day during Chinese New Year when we were back in Kuantan. As some of you may know, my sister has recently started working in Starbucks, too. So my aunt and I irrationally decided to get some drinks from Starbucks just to experience a customer's point of view on my sister. She took my pretty pink tumbler, took our orders, asked for my employee number - and charged us full price.

For one moment, the three of us were stunned. If you do not know yet, Starbucks tumbler users are entitled for a RM2 rebate on their drinks. However this is not applicable for employees as employees get staff price, which, for God knows what reason, my sister had completely omitted both monetary adjustments. To date, the theory behind her act remains unexplained.

On Saturday, while picking up some things in the mall with my aunt,  I had the sudden thought of getting some coffee, because I knew I had to stay awake that night to work on my dreadful assignments (WHICH IS NOW FINISHED PRAISE THE LORD). Initially I thought of getting it from my working store which is located really near to the place I stay, but hey, there are two Starbucks outlet in the mall itself. So I went to one of the outlets and placed my order, and upon payment I made a horrible discovery - both my employee card and my Starbucks card are nowhere to be found. So, yes, my aunt ended up paying full price as well. And I felt really horrible after that because I couldn't accept paying full price for Starbucks. Why should I (or, rather, my aunt) pay the full price when I could have got it at a discounted price? That is the basic principle I apply in making any forms of purchase, at all.

On our way home I kept expressing my sadness and regrets to my aunt and we managed to laugh at the whole situation. She suggested that my sister had jinxed us because there was not one time where she paid at a discounted price for Starbucks since the incident with my sister. And that, dear all, was when I discovered the best part of my whole pathetic situation:

I had a Starbucks tumbler in my bag.

It's the little things in life that make me happy and unhappy, really. For curious' sake, here's the story behind the work 'jinx'. Not a good word.

No comments: