I turned to my right. There Mandy sat, her hair tied into a really cute ponytail. She was doing her homework. She had ALWAYS been doing her homework. Ther fading-pink of her watch stood out in the midst of all other colours surrounding her. The baby blue of her shirt which both sides of sleeve were folded up to the elbow, the sweet, light orange of the desk, the soothing white of her papers and her pencil case. Her pencil case reminded me of mine. They were close to identical. I looked at her. She did not show any respond. She was so in love with her homework. And oh, that patch of slightly faded brown colour of her hair made her look like... Mandy.
It was a hot day. Sweaty, damp, hot day. I could hear the spinning of the three dusty fans above me, their endless effort to ease our lives was evident. Being a fan must suck a lot. Apart from the soft, constant noises the fans gave out, I could hear flippings of papers ocassionally. Books. They all loved books. The quiet peace that surrounded me while everyone was busy with their homework was a moment I could really sink in and just enjoy.
But no. It did not last long. It never lasted long. Wai Kit broke the silence. His loud, firm voice must do it's job. People responeded. It was Xing Zhao. Xing Zhao said something unrelated. Didn't he always do that. Usually, when Chi Sing feels like it, he would make some really lame jokes. But today wasn't the day. I turned to my 4 o'clock, and I saw him staring deeply into his text book. From far, I couldn't see what book it was, but I was pretty sure that it was Sejarah, for, that subject, that very subject, was the only one that really, really made use of the existance of such thing called text books.
My attention was then diverted to the bright patch of light blue behind him. Oh christmas tree, oh christmas tree, the leaves are so unchanging. Happy snowman was indeed, happy. His neighbouring village was a green farm, with mountains and fences and three lambs. Three happy lambs. Their eyes smiled. They enjoyed their lives in the farm. There wasn't anything much to be happy about, but they were just happy. I don't even know why were they so happy. Do we actually need such happy faces hanging their smiles 24/7 at, literally, the back of us? Oh please. Even the sun at the beach right next to the village was also smiling. He had a sunglass covering his eyes, oh yes he did. And that's most probably because we were all too bright and it would hurt a lot to stare at us for the whole year. Hah.
A slight breeze rushed through me in the most gentle way possible. Ah, I wished it had stayed. I wish I had the chance to tell it how much I have always loved and enjoyed it's presence, how much it could affec my life and make me a happier person by just simply, being there all day. It went away so fast.
I could hear soft but obvious whispering from behind. Chuan Jet said something to Yoeng Nam and they burst into a very akward laughter. Followed by Wei Ming's. I didn't bother to ask, knowing that they wouldn't share it with me. Sexists. Jou Jin turned around and asked what was that all about. They laughed in reply. This time their laughters went so bad that even Shar Min and Jamie turned around. Unable to hold back any more, the three girls laughed at their laughters. Mandy was having so much bond with her books that nothing else interested her, not even that increasingly laud and crazy laughters from behind. After some time, when they had managed to regain control on themselves, the boys gave Jou Jin and the girls some hints. Then, simultaneously, their heads all turned to one same direction - my 12 o'clock.
I looked back at my watch to check the time, again. This time I wasn't as dissapointed as before. My watch finally showed 10:45 and almost immediately, an imaginary bell, which was stuck in my head for long, rang. It was finally time to go!!! At that point I could already feel my soul being pulled closer and closer towards that packet of Tomyam Meehoon under my desk, with it's ridiculously alluring aroma. I had to go. I wanted to eat it right there and then, on my desk in the classroom (as how I have always did) with no teacher supervising at the moment, but then it would just seem so terribly unfair to the others, had I taken it out, unwrapped it and released the gorgeous aroma into the atmosphere. They would be devastated to find out that our souls belonged to each other and nothing could change that.
So I took the packet, stood up, and walked out from 5 Cerdik.
No comments:
Post a Comment