There was this group that had to demonstrate an expereiment using the measuring cylinder. It was kind of a group assignment whereby all of us will be evaluated and given marks based on our experiments using the apparatus appointed to each group. My group was given the Bunsen Burner to play with. Anyway, when it was their turn to demonstrate, this girl showed all of us the method to use the measuring cylinder, by filling water into it using a tube. When finished, the lecturer that said her method was not exactly correct. It wasn't accurate enough. She then came up with a very generous offer, in which, whoever was able to point out what was wrong and correct it will be awarded full marks, regardless of their group's performance. People got excited. We all started to think. Some attempted to give the correct answer but had no luck. I thought of the use of white screen while taking the reading but someone had said it and it was not the answer she was looking for as well. The volume of the crowd decreased as time passed and attempts increased. Then it hit me. I thought that I knew it, but I was not sure. The chemistry lab filled with a crowd of approximately 30 top students (like really, really top) was already almost silent; I didn't dare to voice out. If I did, all of them could hear me. What if not only the answer was wrong, it was stupid as well? I would be emberassed. People would have added their impression on the new Chinese girl. The new girl that gave silly answers. I would be memorable but not for a good reason. It would turn out real bad. For a few seconds there was a fierce and intense battle between my mind and my mouth - I had to make a decision quick before the lecturer withdraws her offer. Before I knew it, my mouth triupmed over my mind and I finally blurted out, 'use a dropper'. In a tone of voice that was shaky mixed with shyness, my confidence level at that time was below average.
And just like that, I had 20 marks secured in my hand. Which doesn't matter to me any more now because I left the chemistry lab. For good. FML
With that, I was once again reminded to never stop trying. So what if I was wrong? Accept, and learn from it. That's the art of living. With everything you lose, you gain something. That day I risked looking like a fool on my first day of class, and I earned 20 marks in return, which was big, to me. Had I stayed silent, I would have given away 20 marks just like that, knowing that I could have just grabbed it by uttering merely a sentence. And I would have cursed myself silently for being such a coward. Thank God that wasn't a situation between becoming a millionaire or not.
Perspective, people. It's all about perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment